Yesterday, my dear friends the Call Family left the islands for the second time. We first met about 9 1/2 years ago on July 4th here in Hawaii. I can recall many late nights talking and sharing stories about our lives; we were the 1 o'clock club. Our friendship seemed to fit together like two unlikely puzzle pieces that came together in a perfect fit. Rachel has seen me at my best and at my worst. She has been an angel of kindness many times - lifting, teaching, supporting, forgiving, accepting, and loving me. Thank you, Rachel. I have enjoyed keeping in touch and visiting them in Japan and Washington the past few years. Their return to Hawaii was definitely one of my highlights this year. I admire them for pulling together willing to sacrifice in the challenge of starting a new business in a rocky economy. Their stay in Hawaii was not easy. It reminds me of Dickens opening lines to the Tales of Two Cities - it was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Without complaint, they worked, hoped and prayed and so did I on their behalf. It's moments like these that I wish I had a million bucks to give. Despite the business not working, friendships were rekindled and many memories made. I am thankful for the time spent with them again in Hawaii. The boys have really grown. I enjoyed spending the early mornings with Mitchell at seminary and many afternoons in the studio with Landon. Landon is an awesome helper! I am thankful for attending Grayson's baptism and having him over to swim and play. Rachel is always a joy for me to be around. I simply like being with her; I will miss that. She is creative, witty, smart, deep, playful, thoughtful, and a great cook! Les reminds me of my big brother. He is a lot of fun; I know Pete will miss his movie buddy. I hope they settle in and enjoy their new home in West Virginia. I love them and wish them well! I look forward to hearing about their new adventures, and I guess I better start saving money for a flight to West Virginia.
Sunday, December 28, 2008
A Fond Farewell
Yesterday, my dear friends the Call Family left the islands for the second time. We first met about 9 1/2 years ago on July 4th here in Hawaii. I can recall many late nights talking and sharing stories about our lives; we were the 1 o'clock club. Our friendship seemed to fit together like two unlikely puzzle pieces that came together in a perfect fit. Rachel has seen me at my best and at my worst. She has been an angel of kindness many times - lifting, teaching, supporting, forgiving, accepting, and loving me. Thank you, Rachel. I have enjoyed keeping in touch and visiting them in Japan and Washington the past few years. Their return to Hawaii was definitely one of my highlights this year. I admire them for pulling together willing to sacrifice in the challenge of starting a new business in a rocky economy. Their stay in Hawaii was not easy. It reminds me of Dickens opening lines to the Tales of Two Cities - it was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Without complaint, they worked, hoped and prayed and so did I on their behalf. It's moments like these that I wish I had a million bucks to give. Despite the business not working, friendships were rekindled and many memories made. I am thankful for the time spent with them again in Hawaii. The boys have really grown. I enjoyed spending the early mornings with Mitchell at seminary and many afternoons in the studio with Landon. Landon is an awesome helper! I am thankful for attending Grayson's baptism and having him over to swim and play. Rachel is always a joy for me to be around. I simply like being with her; I will miss that. She is creative, witty, smart, deep, playful, thoughtful, and a great cook! Les reminds me of my big brother. He is a lot of fun; I know Pete will miss his movie buddy. I hope they settle in and enjoy their new home in West Virginia. I love them and wish them well! I look forward to hearing about their new adventures, and I guess I better start saving money for a flight to West Virginia.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Having a friend that touches your soul is one of the best gifts. I loved reading this post. It reminds me of all the special people in my life, including yourself. Thank you for sharing your thoughts & feelings.
ReplyDelete